What is The Doula Process Like?
some things here about hiring a doula
1. Benefits of Hiring a Birth Doula
- Reduced chance of needing a Cesarean Section
- Reduced epidural or other painkiller use
- Reduced use of oxytocin (Pitocin)
- Reduced duration of labor
- Reduced use of forceps
- Reduced use of vacuum extraction
- Reduced chance of health complications and hospitalizations for baby
- Reduced chance of maternal fever and infection
- Reduced maternal bleeding following birth
- Reduced incidence of postpartum depression
- Reduced levels of anxiety
- Increased rate of spontaneous vaginal birth
- Increased chance of successful breastfeeding
- Result in a more positive birth experience
- Mothers feel more in control
- Mothers feel more secure
- Mothers have higher regard and increased sensitivity towards baby
2. Why Hire a doula?
A birth doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical, and educational support to a mother who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. The doula’s purpose is to help women have a memorable and empowering birth experience. During delivery a doula is in constant and close proximity to the mother. She has the ability to provide comfort with pain relief methods including breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, massage, and labor positions. Doulas also encourage partner participation and offer reassurance.
A doula acts as an advocate for the mother, encouraging and helping her fulfill specific desires she might have for her birth. The goal of a doula is to help the mother experience a positive and safe birth, whether it is a natural birth or a cesarean.
According to published studies, doulas can improve the health of both mother and newborn, and can even save lives.
3. What doulas do NOT do:
- Judge you for the decisions you make
- Let their personal values or biases get in the way of caring for you, there is no pressure to make decisions based on their personal preferences
- Make decisions for you. Doulas help provide the information necessary for you to make informed decisions. This includes reminding you if there is a departure from your birth plan
- Take over the role of your husband or partner
- Deliver the baby
- Change shifts
- Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure monitoring, fetal heart tones, vaginal exams, or other medical procedures that fall under the legal definition of practicing medicine
- Provide information regarding dosages or advise you about prescription or alternative medications, give medical advice, or diagnose conditions
- Speak to the staff on your behalf. Doulas will discuss your concerns and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to the clinical staff
- Doulas are not medical professionals
5. This will be another frequently asked question
More stuff will go here
How can we help you achieve the birth experience you want?
OVER 10 YEARS
Serving greater SWFL
Serving Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita, Estero,
Cape Coral, North Port, Englewood, Sarasota and surrounding areas.
Supporting hospital births,
homebirths, birth center births including
Health Park, NCH, Cape Coral Hospital,
Lakewood Ranch Women’s Center, Sarasota Memorial Hospital and more
The services we provide
– Pre Labor