Welcome to Sacred Knowledge Doula Care
Ready to start your journey with sacred knowledge?
Birth Doula and Postpartum Services in Southwest Florida
Classes and Workshops
Private and Group ChildBirth Classes
We offer postpartum services for the important and difficult weeks following childbirth.
During delivery a doula is in constant and close proximity to the mother. Supporting her the entire time.
We Offer Lactation Services
Childbirth and Breastfeeding classes
We offer many classes and workshops. From Breastfeeding to Childbirth, Invidual and group classes.
What is a doula?
Doula (pronounced: DOO-luh) is a Greek word meaning female servant. It refers to a specific servant who supported the mother of a household through pregnancy, childbirth and the early childhood stages of parenting.
Why hire a doula?
A doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical, and educational support to a mother who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. The doula’s purpose is to help women have a safe, memorable, and empowering birthing experience
What is The Doula Process Like?
some things here about hiring a doula
1. Benefits of Hiring a Birth Doula
- Reduced chance of needing a Cesarean Section
- Reduced epidural or other painkiller use
- Reduced use of oxytocin (Pitocin)
- Reduced duration of labor
- Reduced use of forceps
- Reduced use of vacuum extraction
- Reduced chance of health complications and hospitalizations for baby
- Reduced chance of maternal fever and infection
- Reduced maternal bleeding following birth
- Reduced incidence of postpartum depression
- Reduced levels of anxiety
- Increased rate of spontaneous vaginal birth
- Increased chance of successful breastfeeding
- Result in a more positive birth experience
- Mothers feel more in control
- Mothers feel more secure
- Mothers have higher regard and increased sensitivity towards baby
2. Why Hire a doula?
A birth doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical, and educational support to a mother who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. The doula’s purpose is to help women have a memorable and empowering birth experience. During delivery a doula is in constant and close proximity to the mother. She has the ability to provide comfort with pain relief methods including breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, massage, and labor positions. Doulas also encourage partner participation and offer reassurance.
A doula acts as an advocate for the mother, encouraging and helping her fulfill specific desires she might have for her birth. The goal of a doula is to help the mother experience a positive and safe birth, whether it is a natural birth or a cesarean.
According to published studies, doulas can improve the health of both mother and newborn, and can even save lives.
3. What doulas do NOT do:
- Judge you for the decisions you make
- Let their personal values or biases get in the way of caring for you, there is no pressure to make decisions based on their personal preferences
- Make decisions for you. Doulas help provide the information necessary for you to make informed decisions. This includes reminding you if there is a departure from your birth plan
- Take over the role of your husband or partner
- Deliver the baby
- Change shifts
- Perform clinical tasks, such as blood pressure monitoring, fetal heart tones, vaginal exams, or other medical procedures that fall under the legal definition of practicing medicine
- Provide information regarding dosages or advise you about prescription or alternative medications, give medical advice, or diagnose conditions
- Speak to the staff on your behalf. Doulas will discuss your concerns and suggest options, but you or your partner will speak on your behalf to the clinical staff
- Doulas are not medical professionals
5. This will be another frequently asked question
More stuff will go here
Postpartum Doula Services
A postpartum doula provides expert information on topics such as infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, mother baby bonding, infant soothing, and basic newborn care.
- breastfeeding support
- help with the emotional and physical recovery after birth
- light housekeeping so mom does not feel so overwhelmed
- run errands (shopping, assist family with appointments)
- assist with newborn care such as diapering, bathing, feeding and comforting
- light meal preparation
- baby soothing techniques
- sibling care
- referrals to local resources such as parenting classes, pediatricians, lactation support and support groups
- 4 hour minimum
$25 – $35 an hour
Our breastfeeding education and lactation support is done in the privacy of your own home. Sacred knowledge provides you with the personalized, evidenced based, support that will help you to make the best decisions regarding your personal breastfeeding goals.
Your personalized consultation visit typically is done in two sessions.
Our initial session will cover:
– Recognizing feeding cues
– Evaluation of latch / position of mon and baby
– Maintaining milk supply
– Addressing questions and concerns
follow up session to make sure everything is going well. This can be done in person, over the phone, or via Skype/ Zoom.
Contact for Price
Birth/Labor Doula Services
- Unlimited phone/text support after becoming a client
- Assistance with birth planning
- One prenatal visit in your home
- Continuous support during your labor, delivery, and a minimum of two hours after delivery
- Free Breast-feeding class and unlimited Breast-feeding support
- One postnatal visit after delivery for support with breastfeeding and birth processing
- Newborn Care
Contact for Price
My name is Emily. I am a certified doula, childbirth educator and lactation counselor. I love all things that are pregnancy or birth related. Before becoming a doula, I worked with hospice patients. I realized, that I have come full circle – I used to help people in the final stages of life and now I help them in the beginning stages of life. I feel honored and I consider it a great privilege to participate in such a sacred, intimate time. It brings me great joy to see women become empowered during labor as they face uncertainties and overcome fears. The best part of my job is witnessing the love in parents’ faces as they hold their baby for the first time. My job is truly thrilling!
“Having Emily at my birth was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! Doula care, especially with Emily, is something you NEED for your birth!.” Sara Caldwell
“There really are no words to adequately describe what an absolute treasure we found in Emily when we were preparing for the arrival of our baby. Sometimes you get lucky in life, and we certainly did by happening upon Emily just a few months before the delivery date” Charley Furlong
“Hello Mamas and birth support teams, I would like to recommend Emily and her Sacred Knowledge Doula Care services to anyone out there who is pregnant. As women we believe we’re naturally capable of navigating pregnancy, labor and delivery but yet we have little to no training in those areas. We’re made perfect for pregnancy, labor and delivery but a doula has training that supports us in the process to lead us towards a natural birth. A doula makes us feel safe and nurtured by providing an evidence-based approach to assisting women throughout pregnancy and to support us in progressing during labor. They especially advocate for our wishes when it comes to our birth plan. Emily helped me progress in a few hours from 3 cm to 9 cm. It was truly miraculous! She worked incredibly hard in supporting myself and my partner through the hardest parts of my labor. I had been stuck at 3 cm for several days but Emily swooped in on day 3 and helped me progress in my labor. Her positioning and dedication with breathing assisted my labor in moving along. Before she came in to support me I continued to experience stalls and was becoming exhausted with a long labor. I wish I had her support throughout my entire pregnancy and labor. I will never go into a pregnancy, labor and delivery without a doula by my side. Emily was a rock star. I’m a true believer and advocate for doulas now. If you’re pregnant or planning to be help yourself, your baby and your family by hiring a doula. It’s the best investment you will ever make in yourself.”
How can we help you achieve the birth experience you want?
OVER 10 YEARS
Serving greater SWFL
Serving Naples, Fort Myers, Bonita, Estero,
Cape Coral, North Port, Englewood, Sarasota and surrounding areas.
Supporting hospital births,
homebirths, birth center births including
Health Park, NCH, Cape Coral Hospital,
Lakewood Ranch Women’s Center, Sarasota Memorial Hospital and more
The services we provide
– Pre Labor